Can Sleep Apnea Affect People of All Ages?
Sleep apnea can affect people of all ages, even children. However, it is more common in older adults, with a higher percentage of sufferers being men over the age of 40. Sleep apnea can run in families. Studies show that around 22 million people suffer from sleep apnea.
For more than 20 years, Dr. Avi Ishaaya has treated patients with sleep apnea at Dr. Avi Ishaaya Centers in Los Angeles, CA. If you think that you suffer from sleep apnea, then we encourage you to make an appointment for a consultation with Dr. Ishaaya. He will schedule comprehensive sleep testing at his fully accredited sleep lab to determine if you suffer from the condition. If Dr. Ishaaya determines that you have sleep apnea, he will discuss treatment options such as a sleep apnea appliance positive airway pressure (PAP) therapy, which is a common and successful treatment choice. He also offers treatment with automatic positive airway pressure (APAP) devices. Treatment options are customizable to help meet your needs.
What is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea occurs when the muscles at the back of your throat start to collapse while you sleep, which makes a loud noise as air tries to pass through the obstructed airway. Your body cannot obtain sufficient oxygen with sleep apnea. You often stop breathing and jerk awake. If you have sleep apnea, you will struggle to sleep. You might suffer from daytime sleepiness and feel like you need a nap to function.
Sleep apnea impacts your quality of sleep. If you think you suffer from the disorder, schedule a consultation today. Dr. Ishaaya can recognize the signs and symptoms by assessing the following:
- Weight: If you are obese, then you are at increased risk of sleep apnea.
- Snoring: Do you snore loudly and wake up in the middle of the night gasping because you can’t get enough air? Most people with sleep apnea snore so loudly that no one can sleep in the same room as the sufferer.
- Nose injury: Have you suffered from a break in the nasal septum? Did you experience a fracture of the bone that divides your nostrils? If so, then the passage of oxygen through your airways is probably seriously impacted.
- Sex and Age: As mentioned, older men are the most at risk for sleep apnea, but it can happen at any age and is common in families.
- Sleepiness: Do you feel constantly sleepy during the day? Do you feel like you must take constant naps because you are always tired? If so, then you might suffer from sleep apnea.
Dangers of sleep apnea
If you have sleep apnea, then you might want to leave it untreated and simply deal with the condition, but this is difficult and dangerous. Left untreated, sleep apnea can cause heart failure, high blood pressure, heart attacks, irregular heartbeat, and stroke.
Schedule a sleep apnea consultation in Los Angeles, CA
If you feel that you might suffer from sleep apnea, then we encourage you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Avi Ishaaya at Dr. Avi Ishaaya Centers in Los Angeles, CA. He will listen to your symptoms and concerns and conduct testing to determine if you suffer from sleep apnea. If he determines that you have the condition, then he will go over your treatment options. Contact us today to learn more.